Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Journey to Ball State Part 1: Why I Went There

Before I begin, I am not demeaning anyone I mention in this article. I have no quarrels with anyone or think badly of people, and you shouldn't either if you know anyone I mention. This is strictly to tell my story from 2009 to the present about why I went to Ball State, and what I found their instead.

I had originally hoped to go to Ball State in 2009, but I wasn't accepted my senior year of high school. I didn't apply myself as much as I do now. A few colleges accepted me that year, and I narrowed down my choice to Vincennes University. The town of Vincennes isn't the most appealing and entertaining part of Indiana, but it had a good university. I chose Vincennes University for their reputation on having very transferable course credits, their affordable price, the fact that it wasn't a private school, and for having Cross Country and Track teams. 

I made a lot of friends there, and I miss them all even today. As I was there, I did a lot of running with the team. I also chose Accounting as my first major. I wasn't bad at it, but I soon realized I didn't enjoy any of what the major had to offer. I also partied a lot. There's nothing wrong with drinking, but I should have done a lot less of it, especially because I had a lot at stake at VU with my education and position in athletics. I was stupid back then for that.

A few months after I started going to VU, I dated a girl from Ball State. I felt close to her and I wanted to spend a lot of time with her, and so I did. I spent a lot of of weekends going back home to Noblesville to spend time with her. I was clingy. I didn't date many girls before I dated her so it felt new to me in a way. I texted too often as well. I would get distracted by my phone so my friends didn't have my attention a lot, which I apologize to all my old friends from VU for that. I still partied while I dated her; sometimes I didn't tell her about it. Take note on that my friends, don't lie or keep secrets from the ones you care about.

I applied to BSU again during my Freshman year at VU, so that I could be closer to family, get a Bachelor's degree since VU was a 2 year college, and see my girlfriend more often. The first 2 reasons weren't bad reasons at all, but my last reason was selfish. I applied myself a lot more than I did in High School to increase my chances of getting accepted. I received my acceptance letter from Ball State in April 2010. I was excited and so was my girlfriend at the time. In May 2010, I had finished my Freshman year at Vincennes and I said farewell to all my friends there. The next chapter of my life, which I'll talk about in my next post, was about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment