Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Where I Find New Songs

The radio station I thought I could look up to for new music back in the day, when I first moved to Indiana, was X103, since it was the only radio station that played modern rock music. Sadly, this station plays the same songs over and over and over and over again, rarely playing something different, whether it be old or new. I also enjoy listening to Techno/Electro/Dubstep/whatever you want to call it, and there's no local radio stations for that genre either. So to find new music, I've turned to many different sources. Pandora is a good source for finding new music, depending on which band, song, or genre you type in as a station. Spotify is great because it normally shows every song by a band you like, including songs that appeared on soundtracks or EPs that you may not have known even existed. Though I find it weird that friends on Facebook can see which songs I'm listening to.

Sometimes, I find songs on the internet that I heard in a video game, movie, TV show, trailer or commercial. I do some research on Google, YouTube and Wikipedia to find those songs. Whenever I'm hanging out with friends, I ask them what song we're listening to, and then I look it up and add it to my collection. Whenever I get a smart phone, the Shazam app is gonna be my new best friend!

Here are some examples of songs I've found from different sources.

TV Commercial (Kia Soul Hamsters):
Ivan Gough and Feenixpawl feat. Georgi Kay - In My Mind (Axwell Mix)


Movie (The Bourne Identity):
Paul Oakenfold - Ready, Steady, Go


Movie Trailer (G.I. Joe Renegades)
The Glitch Mob - Seven Nation Army (The Glitch Mob Remix)

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever listened to the college radio station? Back in the old days when I went to college, it was the only station that played indie tunes. I found some great bands through college radio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard good things about our radio station at Ball State. That and I forget what channel it is. Vincennes didn't have a very good college station either.

      Delete